Contact Us
Exercise and Weight Loss

Exercise and Weight Loss

Exercise and Weight Loss

If your goal is to lose weight, exercise might not be as important as you may think. We like to overestimate the amount of calories we burn by engaging in some exercise and tend to be more open to indulgence after we “did so well”. This strategy will get you nowhere. People who are overweight tend to eat a few hundred calories more than they need every single day – for most of us, that amount of calories cannot be burned through additional exercise each day to counteract our diet.

30 minutes of jogging or swimming laps might burn off around 350 calories – but at the same time, your appetite will be stimulated and just switching from soda to water
will give you the same reduction of calories.

A meta-analysis by the US National Library of Medicine looked at the relationship between physical activity and fat mass in children and found that being active is probably not the key determinant in whether a child is at an unhealthy weight. And in adults, interventional studies have difficulty showing that a physically active person is less likely to gain excess weight than a sedentary person. Over a longer period of time, we wind up burning less energy with exercise than predicted and, instead, increase our calorie intake – and being compliant to a strict regime isn’t achievable for most of us.

Where Do You Start?

Make changes in your kitchen first. Get the animal products and refined foods out, focus on beautiful whole plant-based foods and give your body the time to adjust to your new diet. It’s way less exhausting to swap a few food items than it is to run for 30 minutes every single day.

Once you hit a plateau and are already eating a very calori-cally dilute diet, you can look into adding some more movement into your life in order to keep things going.
Building some muscle will help you look more toned though, which is an additional benefit when you want to look leaner. But this muscle can only be seen when you already reduced your body fat – otherwise, your abs won’t be of any visual use.

Having more muscle on your body also increases the amount of calories you burn by doing nothing! It doesn’t come down to a very huge amount and you’ll have to build them up over a long period of time, but it can make a difference. And since physical activity releases endorphins, which are feel-good hormones, you are a lot more likely to be motivated and stick to a healthy lifestyle.

Don’t get me wrong there is a phenomenal benefit in moving your body. Just don’t count on it in terms of remarkable weight loss without changing your diet very much. Remember only 20% of a healthy body goes to fitness, the other 80% is allocated to what you eat. The hard work happens in the kitchen. Once you master this then the remaining 20% is a walk in the park.  I hope that you have found value in “Exercise and Weight Loss” For more tips on maintaining a healthy lifestyle join us in our private P.H.A.T Girlz Thrive Facebook Community.

Hi, I’m Coach Karen, Chief and Resident Thriver! Since transitioning to a vegan lifestyle in 2017 I have developed such a passion and desire to create in the kitchen. It’s amazing as I totally fell in love with food! I guess you can call it a healthy obsession! 🙂 LOL! It is so nice to have a platform to from which I can share delicious and healthy recipes. If you have tried one of my recipes please leave your comments below and don’t forget to tag @PHATGirlzThrive on Instagram. Thank you for joining me on this incredible journey to optimum health and wellness! OH BTW Don’t forget to join me in the P.H.A.T Girlz Thrive FB Community.

Share The Love